Re: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 07:59:13 +1000

Gregory Maxwell writes:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Edward S. Marshall wrote:
>
> > > Like it or not,
> > > the names in /dev *are* policy, and kernel should not be dictating
> > > policy. Therefore, the kernel should not be deciding what names appear
> > > in /dev. Q.E.D.
> >
> > Like it or not, the names in /proc *are* policy, and kernel should not be
> > dictating policy. Therefore, the kernel should not be deciding what names
> > appear in /proc. Q.E.D.
>
> Like it or not, syscall numbers *are* policy, and the kernel should not be
> dictating policy. Therefore. the kernel should not be deciding what
> numbers are assigned to syscalls. Q.E.D.
>
> Come on.. This has gone crazy.

Exactly. This demonstrates the silliness of the "policy" argument.
The kernel always has and always will dictate some policy. And we've
always been able to build a structure on top of that which follows a
different policy. Devfs+devfsd actually makes that easier.

And there's a lot to be said for the kernel providing a decent,
human-friendly policy that is guaranteed to be there. It allows
portable programmes to be written, without having to worry about what
a particular distribution maintainer has put in /dev.

With devfs+devfsd a distribution can provide a structure which they
think is logical and works well for them, and get compatibility for
free.

Regards,

Richard....