Re: egcs-1.1.2 ping bug also causes miscompilation of pcbit isdn drive

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
18 Jun 1999 05:39:30 GMT

In article <199906151814.OAA01183@pincoya.inf.utfsm.cl>,
Horst von Brand <vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl> wrote:

>OK, use -fno-strict-aliasing then for the time being, clean up as you
>go. It will have to be done someday anyway...

I don't think it will. As it stands now, all the "fixes" are worse than
the disease. The only acceptable solution right now is to just disable
the egcs code that does the strict aliasing - they weren't interested in
coming up with any reasonable alternatives.

Linus