Re: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)

H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 03:17:29 -0700

Alan Cox wrote:

> This was Richard's argument. It is true you can do devfs in user space. It
> is also true (as Richard pointed out) that the user space solution takes
> about as much unswappable memory, and requires a pile of new kernel files
> and also as I realised when I had a hack on this it needs select() and the
> like on /proc files

I disagree with the claim that it requires a pile of new kernel files.
It basically means you have started in the wrong end of the problem.
There is a need for Linux do develop a decent device driver management;
unfortunately devfs is a hack to patch it rather than tacking the
admittedly hard problem.

> You can do it in userspace, but once you are handling swap its on the wrong
> side of ugly to do so.
>
> What gets me is there are people saying khttpd is a good idea, when its
> reporting lower performance than a user space httpd and who are anti-devfs

I don't necessarily think it's a good idea, but unlike devfs it isn't an
all-pervasive thing and wouldn't be running on most -- if any --
systems. Consequently I don't particularly care one way or the other; I
can imagine a very small set of machines for which it could make sense.

Similarly, I don't care if Richard Gooch runs devfs on his machine.
However, for devfs to make sense, it has to be everywhere, and I do
object to *that*.

-hpa

--
"The user's computer downloads the ActiveX code and simulates a 'Blue
Screen' crash, a generally benign event most users are familiar with