Re: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)

Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 11:07:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Richard Gooch wrote:

> Stephen Frost writes:
> > On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Richard Gooch wrote:
> >
> > > I don't see how a hardware-based name like
> > > /kernel/devices/pci/adapecc2980_0/... is any better than one that
> > > includes the host#, bus# and so on.
> >
> > I've got three controllers in my system, a AMI Megaraid, a
> > BusLogic 928D (IIRC), and a Adaptec 2940, sure would be nice to know right
> > off the bat which controller is c0, which is c1, which is c2. I could
> > probably figure it out from boot messages, but I could certainly see it
> > nice to have the info more easily accessable, or even in a 'df' command.
> > (Some others might not like that, but then, that's a choice they can make..)
> > Oh, and don't forget my zip drive as well, but that's a little
> > easier to tell, since it's only got one drive on it. :) Of course, without
> > devfs to tell me there is only one device there, it's kind of a pain to
> > figure out which drive it is. :) (/dev/sdj, IIRC)
>
> It would be absolutely awful to present these huge device names like:
> /kernel/devices/pci/adapecc2980_0/...
>
> appear in a df output. It is just far too verbose.

Well, for some. :) I don't think >>I'd<< mind it, but that's the
point, it'd be my choice (Or anyone else's). In any case, symlinks could be
created to point to more simple names. Or if possible devfs could just create
both, and let people make the choice. I actually like devfs's naming scheme,
but I would really love to also have this other info somehow. symlinks for
things in /dev to /kernel/devices... would work, because I could fgrep them.
A simple text file mapping the long name to the controller number
would work, but not be as nice I don't think...

Stephen