Re: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)

Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 11:13:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Stephen Frost wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> >
> > > Trivially: it's the module installer's job. (Actually, dynamic devices
> > > are bad, this one of the major reasons why.)
> >
> > dynamic devices are good, and even if they aren't, there are lots of
> > them out there, and there's going to be more. Personally what I would REALLY
> > like to see is the ability to remove/replace a scsi disk in a system while
> > the system is running. Don't know if devfs supports it (Or PC hardware in
> > general, but I think it does).
> > This would assist me greatly in keeping servers up and happy and
> > handling user requests. That ability, and raid0+1 make a powerful
> > combination for very high reliability.
> >
> > Stephen
>
> Alright, clarification: what I meant with "dynamic devices" is dynamic
> device numbers. Hotpluggable devices are obviously a good thing.

Glad we agree. Now how do you handle hotpluggable devices (such as
scsi drives) in userspace? Need scsi compiled in the kernel for booting.
Compile it as a module as well? Whoahh... That just seems very ugly...
Notify the user space daemon that something's disappeared so it can futz
w/ /dev? Seems like an extra unneccessary step. That, and what permissions
would it be set to when gets created? Need a config file, just the same
as you'd need for devfsd.

Stephen