Re: isofs patch

Jens Benecke (jens@pinguin.conetix.de)
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 21:54:39 +0200

On Wed, Jun 16, 1999 at 01:30:59PM +0100, Riley Williams wrote:
> Hi Marius.
>
> > Two things annoyed me with Joliet CD-ROMs:
> > * All files were executable (mode=0444 fixed only files with dots in
> > their names) despite the setting of `noexec' flag.
> > * Often there would be 8.3 DOSish filenames in ALL UPPER CASE (at
> > least on home made CD-Rs).
> Neither of the above is a problem if the CD's were created with the
> RockRidge extensions enabled, and that's the correct way to deal with the
> above problems.

Well, then would you please email the programmers of

CD Copier Pro 2.0 CD Master PRO 9.0 CDRWin 3.6b
DiskJugg Easy CD Creator DELUXE v.3.5a Feurio
NTi CD Maker 3.1.530 Nero 4.0.0.2 E PTS
Audio-CD-MP3-Studio 1.0 Packet-CD 3.0.157 Prassi CDRep
SmartCD Neighborhood SmartCD Recording Win On CD

to adhere to standards, to name the most popular CD burning software.

I'm sure they'd be happy to oblige, as they all support Linux well.
</sarcasm>

Seriously: It's sad, but if we don't want to piss off a BIG number of
people we'll have to adjust to the crap most people produce on their CDs,
even if it IS crap and everybody KNOWS it.

Samba also managed to support Win95 servers although they have an
absolutely <censored> way of producing long file names over the network,
IIRC.

I will be happy to test such software, as soon as I get one of these
'broken' CDs.

> > * adds a new mount option, `lowercase' which when activated
> > translates all-uppercase file names on Joliet CD-ROMs to lower case.
> > Plain ISO9660 already has `map=normal', and Rock Ridge doesn't need
> > this (being case sensitive et al), thus only Joliet CDs are affected.
> Note that Joliet and RockRidge are not incompatible - I regularly create
> CD's with both enabled, and they all work fine under both Linux and
> Windows.

Mine too. Is there a way to specify which should be used, if you mount such
a CD under Linux?

>> I'd appreciate comments (especially warnings like `it can go wrong if
>> ...'). Since I'm not subscribed to this list (I like to read it on
>> Kernel Traffic), CC: by mail would be very nice. Or just direct
>> replies, if this topic doesn't deserve precious traffic on
>> linux-kernel.
> Hopefully, the above comments help.

Hopefully, you don't take this personally. I think I forgot some emoticons.

--
_ciao, Jens_______________________________ http://www.pinguin.conetix.de

Anyone comfortable with using Linux shall use it. | "I'm afraid Linux has a Anyone wanting to tell other people what they | year-429496 problem" should be using can go work for Microsoft. | -- Kernel mailing list