Re: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)

David Woodhouse (David.Woodhouse@mvhi.com)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:47:45 +0100

Matthew.Wilcox@genedata.com said:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 1999 at 05:39:20AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > Actually, I don't see much difference between this and an initrd on
> > romfs.
> The difference is that the Multiboot Standard requires that the
> bootloader handles this whereas the kernel handles initrd & romfs.

You have an embedded system, which is short of RAM. You choose - you can put
this in the bootloader where it gets dropped on booting, or you can put it in
the kernel where it takes up non-pageable RAM all the time. I know which I'd
choose.

If that's not a simple enough choice for you, factor in some other discussions
that have shown up on this list recently...

What I'd like to see in the long term is for the kernel to lose the distinction
between compiling drivers as a module and statically linking them.

I'd also like to remove the large amounts of driver-specific code/tables in
places like drivers/net/Space.c and init/main.c - they can be replaced with a
solution which allows drivers to be distributed as single pieces of code,
without patching the 'core' kernel.

David Woodhouse David.Woodhouse@mvhi.com Office: (+44) 1223 810302
Project Leader, Process Information Systems Mobile: (+44) 976 658355
Axiom (Cambridge) Ltd., Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridge, CB5 0NA, UK.
finger dwmw2@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk for PGP key.