Re: why no fdset patch in kernel?

Brian (signal@shreve.net)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 10:50:53 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > If 1024 people simultanously connected, and requested a page, would that
> > not be 1024 open files? or no? What about the sockets themselves, do
> > those count as fd's too?
>
> 1024 open files, but not in one process

Ok, I understand, I had thought that if a parent forked, that all the
childrens fd's would come out of the parents amount of fd's, but now I am
clear that any process, even children have their own independent 1024
fd's. So I was more than likely hitting a limit of max number of
processes then? I remember trying to login as "www" (the user that apache
runs as) and it was unable to fork a shell! So I of course set
appropriate limits in /etc/security/limits.conf so that login would up the
limits for "www".

Brian