Re: Massive e2fs corruption with 2.2.9/10?

ron flory (rjflory@feist.com)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:20:01 -0500

Alan Cox wrote:

> > If I copy a large (650Mb) file to a different filename, then
> > perform a compare on them, I encounter random, different
> > miscompares. I've seen this on several 2.2.9 and 2.2.10
> > systems.
>
> Ok people is this
>
> SCSI or IDE (or a mix)
> What compiler was used

Mixed SCSI/IDE, although the miscompares only happen on the IDE drive.
As a side-note, if I use a compare prog that performs reads in 16Mb
blocks, the same input file will actually miscompare with itself (!!!).
'diff' and md5sum do not aggravate the problem.

If I compare 2 files (between SCSI and IDE) it works fine, If I compare
between SCSI/SCSI it also works fine.

My guess is there may be something happening with read buffer
management. The files are OK as written, we just see errors at
read-time when the data is returned from fread().

ron