Re: Microsoft IP-stack ?!

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 20:45:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

>> >close to freebsd - and the BSD license permits such use
>>
>> Which is a good reason to *NOT* release open source code under
>> BSD style licenses. You might as well just send your code
>> directly to Microsoft.
>
>This isnt the place for licensing discussions,

Agreed.

>and you should probably consider that DARPA funded the BSD
>stack and UC Berkeley can hold it up as probably one of the
>most successful DARPA fundings of all time in terms of getting
>their research into the commercial world.

Ok, that's fine.

>Please remember what UC Berkely were trying to achieve.

Ok. My statement still stands though. Current day open-source
development that is BSD licensed or similarly can go directly to
Microsoft. Any developers should be well aware of that before
choosing such a license. I didn't mean to start such a
discussion however, so I won't continue it past this message.

Sorry for the offtopic posting about it. Any responses should be
via direct mail.

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

Tea, Earl Grey, Hot...