Re: kernel debugger for RedHad 6.0 x86 platform

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 20:51:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, WANG,YIDING (HP-SanJose,ex1) wrote:

>Does anyone know where I can possible get a kernel debugger for
>RedHad 6.0 for my driver development? Or any good way to debug
>it with most kernel debugger functionality (such as single step
>trace, stack trace, break point set, memory dispaly, etc)?

Check on freshmeat (freshmeat.net) and do a "find" search for
debuggers. You'll probably find it. If not, then I'm sure
someone else will point you in the right direction.

>Also could anyone point out where the following message comes from during
>the driver installation "insmod" and what is the meaning of that?
>
> "Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 0001c000"

Hmm. You need the full "Oops" report to determine that. Also,
make sure that your System.map file is the one that was generated
when you compiled your kernel, and that it is in /boot, or one of
the other places that syslog looks for it.

Good luck!
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

Tea, Earl Grey, Hot...