Re: Odd filesystem permission handling

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 00:13:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> At one time, there was no mkdir() call. You could use mknod()
> to get one, then add the '.' and '..' entries yourself.
> You could freely hard link and unlink directories. If you go
> back far enough, I think you could chmod() a file into a
> directory. Yep, turn files into directories and back again.

RTFM. Nope, you couldn't. Moreover, mkdir(2) was a separate syscall. Yes,
it didn't create '.' and '..'. That's what mkdir(1) did after calling
mkdir(2).

Albert, the whole set of v1 manpages is available on the
www.cs.bell-labs.com/~dmr, along with pretty interesting texts on early
history. Could you consider *reading* them?

> I suspect that the early developers thought hard links were fun.

So? I quite agree with them. Fun or not, but links are quite useful.
If the thing doesn't fit well into your idea of the world - you know where
to find NT or VMS if you need them.