Re: PROBLEM: Losing network connectivity with 2.2.10

Chris Evans (chris@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 12:13:07 +0100 (GMT)

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Brian Leeper wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Chris Evans wrote:
> > On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Brian Leeper wrote:
> >
> > > Jun 17 15:43:01 linux270 kernel: eth0: Insufficient memory; nuking packet.
> > > Jun 17 15:43:32 linux270 last message repeated 1496 times
> > > Jun 17 15:43:39 linux270 last message repeated 329 times
> >
> > Interesting, we saw those once. Networking remained active afterwards
> > though - that's the important thing :-)
> >
> > Did networking survive for you too?
>
> Sure did--I wonder if the "Insufficient memory" errors could be fixed by
> increasing the number of Rx buffers?

No idea. It only happened once, and things recovered, so I didn't look
into it.

There are two very interesting datapoints you could give us

1) If after a few weeks, the de4x5 driver hasn't dropped the network, we
can be reasonably sure of a serious problem in the tulip.c driver
(possibly a generic flaw because I've had hassles with 3c59x.c too)

2) It would be interesting to know if the "Insufficient memory" thing
shows up again, and if so, how often

Cheers
Chris