Re: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 08:46:52 +1000

Pavel Machek writes:
> Hi!
>
> > NB: I'm not convinced that a devfs which is directly mountable on /dev makes
> > sense *in the presence of hot-swappable devices*. It's a bit *too* mutable.
> > "devfsd == vold done right" appears to make more sense IMHO. If there are
> > no hot-swappable devices available, it is workable; but IMHO it's a bad idea
> > to set things up that way because things will go wacky as soon as someone
> > starts hot-swapping USB devices... it's bad to have a default setup which
> > breaks in strange ways when one starts taking advantage of hot-swappable
> > devices on modern computers.
>
> Well, hot-swap is in so early development stage in linux, now, that if
> hot-swap is only reason you dislike devfs -- go for it.
>
> It is currently not clear how we'll identify devices on USB (their
> unique serial numbers are not that unique after all). Just solve
> problems we have _now_ and then start developing hot-swap support into
> kernel.

Hot-swap is going to work very nicely with devfs. We can leverage the
existing power of devfsd. You just use a script or a shared object
that gets loaded into devfsd to make a symlink with a human-friendly
name to an inscrutable name that makes sense to the driver.

Regards,

Richard....