Re: Some very thought-provoking ideas about OS architecture.

Jeffrey B. Siegal (jbs@quiotix.com)
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:39:20 -0700

Jim Gettys wrote:
> o The X server got much faster when the data structures were shrunk by
> 60% 8 or so years ago (between X11R2 and X11R3 and X11R4) (trading a few
> instructions for much more compact data structure representation).

I'm not saying I disagree with your conclusion about touching less
memory (certainly today this is very true), but there was so much other
work going on at that time to optimize the X server at that time (some
of which I did, some of which had to do with touching memory less and
some of which didn't) that I'm not sure you can really say that the
speed improvements were the direct result of touching less memory as
opposed to simply executing less code, or touching the frame buffer
(often slower than memory) less. CPU's were pretty slow in those days
(compared to the relative speed of today's CPU's and memory) and it
sometimes made sense even to touch memory *more* using lookup tables and
such in order to save instructions.