Re: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)

DAVID BALAZIC (david.balazic@uni-mb.si)
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 12:16:36 +0100 (MET)

Nathan Hand (nathanh@chirp.com.au) wrote :

> On Sat, Jun 19, 1999 at 06:44:11PM -0400, Horst von Brand wrote:
> > Nathan Hand <nathanh@chirp.com.au> said:

> > > I would like a devfs mounted on /dev which does nothing except report node
> > > accesses that ENODEV to devfsd.
> >
> > kmod + modprobe are doing fine, thanks.
>
> These tools do not (and can not) insert modules based on attempts to open
> non-existent device nodes, so I fail to see how they do fine. You've just
> thrown away one of the best features of the virtual /dev.

devfs + kmod + modprobe DO load modules for nonexistant device nodes,
read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/devfs/*
especially /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/devfs/modules.conf

--
David Balazic , student
E-mail   : 1stein@writeme.com     |     living in  sLOVEnija