Re: nfsv3 client/solaris server troubles

Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
24 Jun 1999 15:11:33 +0200

Todd Chauvin <chauvin@cauchy.ee.washington.edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anyone is successfully using the nfsv3 client patches with
> solaris 2.6/7 servers. Up until revision 0.9.4.3, performance (for my
<snip>

> As best as I can tell, the problem is related to the file net/sunrpc/xprt.c
> If I apply patch 0.9.9.1 to linux-2.2.10 and then clobber only xprt.c
> with the version from patch 0.9.4.3, the performance is restored. Using
> 'snoop' on solaris, it seems as though the linux client is flooding the
> network with UDP packets. In fact, to write 1 megabyte, snoop captures 10
> times as many packets with recent versions of the nfsv3 patches as compared
> to version 0.9.4.3.

Could you try patch 0.9.9.2? That should reduce the number of retries.
This is also the first version where the TCP stuff seems to work for
me (albeit slowly) without crashing under iozone.

Cheers,
Trond