Re: Linux and Network Flight Recorder

Stefan Monnier (monnier+lists/linux/kernel/news/@tequila.cs.yale.edu)
24 Jun 1999 14:22:29 -0400

> The polls are fast but intrusive. We could automate their insertion.
> However it's a pain and doesn't generalise e.g. for Linux running
> normal apps.
> In RL per-packet interrupts are a killer at this rate.
> No-one has got this performance with interrupts AFAIK.

How far can you go with a mixed system where you switch dynamically between
polling and interrupts depending on the load ?
Last I read anything along these lines, the switch was done rather simply:
at the end of an interrupt processing, a quick poll is used before going back
to `wait for interrupt' again.
I'm sure you've looked into such an alternative (or you may even already use
it), so I'd be interested to know what was your experience with it,

Stefan