Re: (reiserfs) Re: I discussed reading directories as files with

Mark H. Wood (mwood@iupui.edu)
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 11:25:09 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999 tytso@mit.edu wrote:
[clip]
> Something that folks should keep in mind is that as far as I have been
> able to determine, Microsoft isn't actually planning on using streams
> for anything. As near as I can tell it was added so that their SMB
> servers could replace Appleshare servers more efficiently, but that's
> really about it. I don't believe, for example, that MS Office 2000 is
> going to be using the streams functionality at all, and this is for a
> very good reason.
>
> Streams really lose when you need to send them across the internet. How
> do you send a multifork file across FTP? Or HTTP? What if you want to
> put the multifork file on a diskette that's formatted with a FAT
> filesystem for transport to another OS? What if you want to tar a
> multifork file? Or use a system utility like /bin/cp or /usr/bin/mc
> that doesn't know about multifork files?
>
> One of the reasons why the Apple resource-fork was a really sucky idea
> in practice was that executables stored dialog boxes, buttons, text, all
> in resources --- which would get lost if you tried to ftp the file
> unless you binhexed or otherwise prepped the file for transfer first.

IIRC, Digital's Pathworks for Macintosh would store the forks in separate
RMS files. So as long as you know how the truly hairy filenames are
related, you can transport the whole glob from one machine to another and
lose nothing but your sanity.

Specializing in unusual perspectives for more than twenty years.