Re: PLIP

Graham K. Glover (grahamkg@erols.com)
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 22:35:01 -0400

First, thank you very much to everyone who posted and wrote directly to
me. I've been running Linux for almost 2 years now (and still have so
much to learn), but this is still an excellent community and Operating
System/computing environment. Thank you everyone!!!!!!

The problem is not yet solved, but I have work to do first to further
isolate/identify my problem. Once solved (I am optimistic) I'll let you
know what happened. Until then, I've got many leads, some direct from
here and some inspired by what I've found in trying some of the leads.

Therefore, I am taking my problem away from this forum for now. I have
work to do on this.

For those of you interested in where I am now in this problem, I have
included additional information below.

Thanks again!

Best regards,

Graham

NIIBE Yutaka wrote:

> Thank you for the report. You have more than one parallel port, don't you?
> In such a case, please try this patch, and please let me know if it
> stops the OOPS.
>
> --- plip.c~ Thu Jun 17 16:40:13 1999
> +++ plip.c Fri Jun 25 16:39:20 1999
> [patch et al...]

Thank you very much! However, it changed nothing except my thinking and
my options.

I don't believe that was the solution to my problem, so unless the patch
closes some open logic, you may not want to include it as permanent
code. I implemented the patch, recompiled everything, and observed some
additional behaviors, and realized I have considerable debugging work to
do on my own, as there are more factors to be considered.

Here are some more details:

"julia", the tower, is a Dell P5/166 running RH 6.0/Kernel 2.2.10. On
the other side of the cable is the laptop, "ranma", a Toshiba P5/133
running RH 5.2/Kernel 2.0.36. Here's where things become more curious.

1. I boot both machines.
1a. I bring up plip on both sides.
1b. Plip works fine.

2. I drop plip on both sides.

3. I bring up plip on both sides.
3a. Plip appears to come up on both sides, as indicated via ifconfig.
3b. Plip does not work.
3b1. When pinging from julia (6.0/2.2.10), timeouts occur on ranma
(5.2/2.0.36).
3b2. When pinging from ranma, timeouts occur on ranma.

4. I drop plip on both sides.

5. I reboot ranma.
5a. I bring up plip on both sides.
5b. Plip does not work; errors are as in 3b1 and 3b2.

6. I drop plip on both sides.

7. I reboot julia.
7a. I bring up plip on both sides.
7b. Plip works fine.

8. I drop plip on both sides.

9. I bring plip up on both sides.
9a. Errors repeat as in 3.

One of the options will be to install 6.0/2.2.10 to the laptop to see if
plip works fine across both machines. If it does, I'm done. If not,
then I'll try other options.

--
Graham  http://www.erols.com/grahamkg
        http://www.erols.com/grahamkg/linux.gif  [347K]