Re: System unique identifier.....

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 08:30:23 +0400 (MSD)

In <199906260104.VAA05517@jupiter.cs.uml.edu> Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu) wrote:
> Theodore Y. Ts'o writes:
>> From: "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>

> Doesn't Linux already have this ability on the SPARC and Alpha?
> It would work on ia32 too, with GRUB, except for the ability to
> use a non-BIOS supported root with the kernel being elsewhere.

I have non-BIOS supported root with the kernel being elsewhere on our server,
for example :-) And in near future there are will be A LOT OF systems with
non-BIOS supported root (hint: there are quite a few systems with IDE
disks > 8Gb and INT13 extensions are broken on quite a few systems as well)...