Re: Idea: Network RAID == Distributed FS

Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 09:25:48 +0000 ( )

Lets say you are using gigabit ethernet and a dozen machiens with IDE
disks. You should not be comparing gigabit ethernet with the SCSI, because
the local interface is really the PCI bus, which is capable of gigabits
AFAIK. You can put 6 ultra-wide-scsi3 controllers in a machine and
accomplish the same effect as putting one 80mb/sec controller in each of 6
machines and putting them on a gigabit lan. on asingle machine, you lose
the bottleneck (and expense!) of the networok.

Note that you can also put many IDE controllers in one machine and RAID
the disks.