Re: [patch] pagecache-2.3.9-H3, bmap & ext2fs cleanup patch

Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 21:13:09 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> (Uptodate && !Mapped) is valid already - it's _used_ in pre-2.3.9-4
> (except "Mapped" was called "Allocated", and I agree that "Mapped" is a
> better name for it).
>
> It _should_ be valid.

hm, i cant see any place where we have (!Mapped && Uptodate) in pre4. We
have (!Mapped && !Uptodate), but thats normal.

> I think your problem is that you use "uptodate()" to check whether
> something is mapped. Your patches had a number of these instances, and
> it's wrong. I explicitly removed all of them from pre-2.3.9-4, and you
> re-introduced the ugly behaviour, probably because you were working off an
> older source base..

i reintroduced them simply for the wrong reason (IO errors), but i'm
definitely not arguing about that, it's a bug in my patch. Will resend the
patch with these things fixed (well, preserving the original behavior),
based on pre5. That might as well better show why i think it's not a good
idea to 'code' holes as (!Mapped && Uptodate).

-- mingo