Re: [patch] pagecache-2.3.9-H3, bmap & ext2fs cleanup patch

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 16:51:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Ingo Molnar wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
>
>> BTW, I think that a filesystem that span over multiple devices could make
>> better choices than raid, right?
>
>no, RAID is really a different concept, and it's filesystem independent.

Sure they are completly different things. You may span a
multi-spanning-filesystm over many raid device and the filesystem won't
ever notice that. Fun :).

>multi-device filesystems _might_ be useful but the cleanest way of
>handling striping and/or redundancy is IMO MD at the block device layer.

I wouldn't call it cleanest, I would call it more generic/simpler. At the
block device layer you lose the semantic of the write requests. (no one
difference for reads of course)

>Caching and block allocation decisions are best done on the filesystem
>level.

So why you said `no'? :)

Andrea