A question about drivers and APM

Miles Lane (miles@amazon.com)
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 13:51:00 -0700

Alan,

I saw this note from you in the linux-kernel-digest:

---------------------
 Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 17:55:59 +0100 (BST)
 Subject: Re: apm sound

 > I have used APM on both desktops and laptops and all suffer the same
 > anoying feature:
 > after a susspend the sound card has to be re initialised ie modules
un
 > loaded and re loaded
 > This is infuriating with enlightenment as esd stops the sound
modules
 > from being unloaded until it is killed and after restarting it (esd)
 > all programs that were connected to it eg enlightenment also have to
be
 > restarted.
 > Is there a workaround for this?

 Workaround no. The apm code has the relevant hooks if you'd like to
modify
 your sound driver to restore state when the machine restarts from a
suspend.
 Technically its the BIOS problem with APM. Some biosen do restore
 some don't.

My question is whether there are efforts under way to develop some
driver specifications for linux drivers that would enable all drivers
to play nice with APM. If not, perhaps someone who is familiar with
writing linux drivers and APM should write up a document on upgrading
drivers for APM support and put it on the web somewhere. It seems
to me that all driver developers should be encouraged to upgrade
their drivers soon.

 Thanks,
Miles