Re: FTP benchmark proposal

Christof Damian (cdamian@guideguide.com)
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 23:37:53 +0100

Andi Kleen wrote:

> lm@bitmover.com (Larry McVoy) writes:
> >
> > with each of the "c" machines masquerading as a pile of clients. The
> > reason for that is that we want to generate the real pcb lookup load
> > on the server so it has to think that it is talking to 6000 clients.
>
> The hard thing will be to simulate slow/timing out connections that occur over
> the internet. Just low-latency local networking with no lost packets is easy.

How about finding someone with a fat pipe (probably not redhat - maybe
VA) who donates a day of bandwith.

Then write a client which contacts this host via ftp (or maybe http
too) at this day.

distribute this to a lot of linux users (shouldn't be to difficult,
just anounce it on slashdot, they don't have anything better to do -
hey I read it too). this should be a pretty good set of different
connections & client speeds. you might even want to write a windows &
mac client.

the client could even be running all the time and get information
about benchmark times and needs from the benchmark server, similar to
the distributed.net client.

so - who gets VA, slashdot & maybe distributed.net together and who
writes the server/client ?

just an idea,
christof

--
Christof Damian                [ we are looking for perl and linux
Technical Director               programmers, more information @