Re: SMP on AMD K7

Rich Payne (rdp@talisman.alphalinux.org)
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 11:06:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Adam Sulmicki wrote:

> Paul Jakma writes:
>
> ->i don't know anybody doing *anything* with the K7 today... :) so i guess the
> ->whole discussion is moot.
> ->
> ->Interestingly the new *Alpha* 21264 UP1000 motherboard uses the AMD Irongate
> ->chipset.. they also have a dual 21264 UP2000 board based on a DEC chipset.
> ->So it seems K7/Alpha chipsets are interchangeable, so then K7 SMP is
> ->probably possible using the DEC chipset.

Not quite, the boards are very different.

> FWIW, it is pretty much what I have read in www.aceshardware.com.
>
> AFAIK, the UP{1,2}000 and AMD's "reference motherboard" are currently
> the only 3 motherboards capable of running K-7.

UP2000 is based on Tsunami (Same as the Compaq DS20, DS10 and the DP264
machines), this will not run with a K7. The UP1000 is indeed based on
Irongate (the AMD chipset) so in theory, the board could run either,
though you'd still have the BIOS issue to deal with.

> So I was wondering about specs of the UP{1,2}000 motherobards and
> and their prices. Does anyone know where I can find more info on
> them? Trying to search www.digital.com and www.snap.com did not
> return any matches :(

They are not Digital/Compaq product. They are from Alpha Processor Inc.
(www.alpha-processor.com).

--rdp

Rich Payne
rpayne@alphalinux.org www.alphalinux.org