Re: Framebuffer question.

Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 12:58:44 -0400

Modemch wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> There are a few problems with the matrox framebuffer, one of them was
> mentioned on the list - it locks up the machine if you try to scroll up
> (shift-pageup) while something is scrolling down. I've noticed a few more,
> like garbled characters, and screen going blank if you switch to a console
> running less, and press the up arrow. I thought I could try to fix these,
> but ran into a problem right away. It is possible to compile the
> framebuffer as a module, but I have no clue how it can be removed after
> it's inserted - naturally, rmmod doesn't work as the module is being used
> by all the consoles. Is there a way to actually remove or reload it, and
> if not, what's the point of having a framebuffer driver as a module?

It is currently impossible to unload a framebuffer modules AFAIK.

For the other things you mention, you should contact the matroxfb
maintainer, Petr Vandrovec, listed at the top of matroxfb.c. Petr has
some matroxfb updates that are not yet in the kernel, perhaps using his
test version would solve your problem.

Another key framebuffer resource is the fbdev list:
linux-fbdev@vuser.vu.union.edu