Re: strange problem in X...commonalities

Hermann Himmelbauer (dusty@strike.wu-wien.ac.at)
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 00:26:39 +0200

Dick Balaska wrote:

> Joe wrote:
>

> > A) egcs is compiling the SMP - tcp/ip code incorrectly and
> > causing it to flake out on occasion?
> >
> > I do not think this is the case though as I have heard from
> > someone (I think.. as I recevied lots of suggestions and mail)
> > that said that they had this problem with gcc..
>
> I don't think this is it either. I've never had a problem.
> I don't run a local X server (or a local mouse), but i run a lot of
> Java apps displayed on my NT box.
>
> IMHO there is an interrupt problem. Either a shared int or
> perhaps XFree with his private serial mouse driver.

I remember these hangs: Sometimes when I moved the mouse the system
simply hang. Ingo Molnar recommended me a special kernel
that showed "Unexpected Interrupt XXX" before hanging. He then wrote
a patch and with that one the problems vanished completly.
Now my machine (Gigabyte 586 DX, 2*P200) is rock solid.
I also heavily use NFS.

What I do not know is if Ingo integrated his patch in kernels > 2.2.3,
so if one of you wants to have a look at it I could send it to him.

Best Regards,
Hermann

--
Hermann Himmelbauer