Re: Improving raw network performance [was Apache performance etc.]

Matthew Wilcox (Matthew.Wilcox@genedata.com)
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 00:42:46 +0200

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 10:54:42PM +0200, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > I think I mentioned this a long time ago... at high speeds, various NT
> > network drivers switch from interrupt-driven to polling. The interrupts
> > just kill you after some point... and it's pointless to take them all,
> > when you could just take a clock interrupt and go fetch packets.
>
> Could this be made generic for all network drivers?
>
> I'm thinking:
>
> 1. Interrupt comes in
> 2. Kernel disables interrupt
> 3. Driver fetches/sends data.
> 4. Driver loops back to 3 if there's more data
> (many drivers do this already).
> 5. Driver returns.
>
> ... timer driven delay ...
>
> 6. Kernel reenables interrupt.
> 7. If interrupt pending, go to 2.

You could only do this if the interrupt is not shared. But if your
network is normally being hammered then you probably didn't configure
your network card to be on the same interrupt as your hard disc.

--
Matthew Wilcox <willy@bofh.ai>
"Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of