Re: Perforamnce comparison between 2.3.8 and 2.2.10

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 01:46:02 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Chuck Lever wrote:

>i also believe that a multithreaded page cache for file data won't help
>much if the file system is still serialized :)

I think the filesystem and the page cache are different things and that it
make tons of sense to have a threaded cache with a not scalable fs as
having a threaded cache with a very slow HD. For example you may read from
the page cache in parallel at 200mbyte/sec for CPU from a filesystem on an
hd that goes a 1byte/sec :).

Usually when the fs is involved you always need to do some kind of
read-I/O and so you are going to be slow and sleep anyway. Once you have
your working set in memory, then you live enterely in the page/buffer
cache and the fs code stops running completly (even the regular flush that
you want to do to not lose too much data after a crash, runs locally in
buffer.c without ask to the fs anymore since you just know where to write
the dirty data on the blockdevice).

Andrea