Re: fsck is dead (was: Some very thought-provoking ...)

Chris Smith (cd_smith@ou.edu)
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 07:35:45 -0500

> On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Chris Smith wrote:
> >
> > 4. A tie between Linux and Novell -- Novell sucks but is supported for
use
> > with this particular hardware that I'm teaching; Linux doesn't suck
quite
> > as much, but it has no support.
> >

> This is clearly FUD. Check out Red Hat, Caldera, ADK Computer,
> linux-newbie, comp.os.linux.*, and others.

Is anyone actually paying attention? Note that I didn't say that Linux, in
general, has no support. I said that Linux is not supported with the
*specific* piece of hardware that I was referring to (which, BTW, is
Digital's [now Compaq's] StorageWorks line). That means that even if a
piece of hardware breaks, for example, Compaq will not send a support
person on site because you aren't running a supported configuration. Good
luck getting someone from comp.os.linux.* to come on-site within 4 hours to
fix your broken storage subsystem that isn't even related to Linux. Does
ADK do that?

If you want to be paranoid about "FUD" then that's your perogative. But
public accusations don't buy you anything when you are that obviously
wrong.

Finally, this isn't a kernel issue. Drop it.

--
> > 5 minutes of down time costs this customer about $500,000.  That means
that
> > the 33 minute fsck costs about 3.3 million dollars.  Do *you* want to
tell
> > this person that fsck is tolerable?
> >

> Um, can you say, UPS, and "maintainence"?  If proper amounts of both are
> given, the chances of an fsck are almost NONE, in my experience and that
> of *MY* clients.  I don't know about anyone else...

I still don't think you even have an inkling of how paranoid these people are. A UPS can fail, software can crash, a CPU can fail, a large chunk of ice from an airplane can crash through the roof and slice right through the power cable, ...

Chris Smith