Re: If we cannot trim subject lines, then we end up with a truly horrendous monster like this one, w

Tue, 29 Jun 1999 18:34:19 +0200

Richard Gooch wrote:
> Secondly, we haven't seen a convincining argument as to why putting a
> FS into a file provides a significant benefit.

You know, you're right...

It is said that editing _huge_ files where only small part changes is
really slow (if you move things in the file) or really inefficient (if
you leave gaping holes like MS Word "Quick Save").

This apparently happens when you edit compound documents, like the
component-based KOffice documents (containing a figure which contains a
spreadsheet which contains a database etc.)

A fair point, though I haven't seen a convincing argument why a plain
old directory isn't adequate for holding a compound document.

-- Jamie