Re: Dual Ethernet Slowness Causing Lousy Benchmarks? (was: A very informative benchmark.)

Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 21:54:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Jordan Mendelson wrote:

> It seems to me that all the benchmarks used dual ethernet controllers
> when they were benched against NT, and that's when the major degredation
> showed up in performance (at least that's what this C'T article
> suggests).

if by 'major degradation' you mean 'it can only deliver 1500 hits/sec',
then yes. I mean, it must suck to be an OS that can serve only a meakly
129 million web pages per day on a single box ;)

seriously, there is absolutely no 'major degradation' [i have the newest
c't issue in front of me], it's just that we do not scale too well
compared to 1-CPU performance (only 30-40% improvement with 4 CPUs).

Such nonscaling is absolutely unacceptable to have around - so David S.
Miller has SMP-scaled the networking code in 2.3 already - on my box and
2.3.9 TCP bandwith scales almost linearly on localhost - it shows almost
no scaling on 2.2.10. (i do not have 4 100mbit ethernet connections - yet)

-- mingo