Re: The stability crisis

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 01:34:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Aaron Lehmann wrote:

>> hmmm, the closest computer that I could use is 100 feet away and is
>> attatched to this box by a 100ft piece of category 5....
>
>Also, all of my serial ports are in use..
>Not everyone can donate a serial port to Linux development.

A serial card costs roughly $20, or for free as "junk" at some
surplus store, or at a garage sale. I've got a boatload of them
around here.

If the problem you're having is causing downtime, I'll assume
that downtime equals lost money, directly or indirectly. $20 for
another serial port is peanuts in this case. A Parallel cable is
also possible too I believe. I've used PLIP many times and it
works fairly well.

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

Tea, Earl Grey, Hot...