Re: (reiserfs) RE: (reiserfs) File conglomerations

Tan Pong Heng (pongheng@starnet.gov.sg)
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 19:13:07 +0800

What make reiserfs reiserfs at the moment is the way it organises the fs
and map that into the physical media. It may have some specific
functionality
that are not available from other fs - either due to the way it does
its works or in addition to what the standard fs provides.

What I propose is that the fs functionality can be analyzed and grouped
into various groups/layers. The way the fs is organised on the physical
media is one group/layer. The aggregation functionality belong to another
group/layer and is basically orthogonal to the first group/layer. If you
look at it that way, there is no reason why they can not be splited and
implemented separately in such a way that they can be mixed and matched.
That way, you can assure that each can be developered separately in
the most efficient way. Also, it would ensure that nobody will be wasting
efforts into implementing the same aggregation functionality in other fs
if it is proved effective.

I think it is too early to commit whether the aggregation functionality is
useful/effective or not. But, at least reiserfs has been proven in some way
that it is efficient/effective for some specific purpose. As such, why
not keep these two groups of functionality reasonably separated so that
they can be developed in the way that are most suitable for them?

I believe the UNIX concept of modularization is the right way for software
development. It basically enable reuse of codes.

Packaging functionality together and pushing them out together is Microsoft
way of forcing functionality to users to ensure the survivability as a
whole.
While it may be a viable approach for commercial software - it should not
be the way to go for open source development.