[offtopic] Re: Norton Utilities for Linux ?

Alan Olsen (alano@summanulla.pcx.ncd.com)
Thu, 01 Jul 1999 02:57:32 -0700

> On 29 Jun 1999, Russell Senior wrote:
>
> >Mike> I haven't ran "defrag" for Linux yet, and defragging is
> >Mike> practically unneeded in Linux anyways, but a nortonish defrag [...]
> >
> >Maybe it's just me, but my observation is that `defrag' is what
> >support people do to buy time when they don't actually know what the
> >problem is and want to seem busy.
>
> Heheheh. I certainly agree with that one. ;o) I've seen other
> nice "I can't do anything until that program finishes." extended
> paid breaks before too. ;o)

I have actually seen problems fixed by defrag. (Usually involving time critical operations involving writing cd-roms.) Scandisk is a better bet for the weirdnesses that can creep into FAT filesystems. (For example, drives with many megs free, but writes act like there is no free disk space left.)

Most tech support nowadays is voodoo anyways. That is what happens when support is reguarded as the lowest point on the technical linked list.