Re: (reiserfs) Re: Summary of how linux can best avoid the need for streams

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 23:26:45 +1000

Hans Reiser writes:

> If you don't do creat() on the directory, then you haven't configured an
> overloaded name for a file and a directory. The rest is similar detail.
>
> > > Nothing I have said makes it mandatory that you choose to do an open
> > > or a create on the directory, or that you use any filters.
> >
> > I'm glad to hear that, but I don't understand how that would
> > work. I've heard talk about automagically tarring up directories,
> > accessing "default" files when opening a directory, and so on. So how
> > do you make this user (per process) configurable?
> >
> > Especially if data filters/default opening/automagic tarring is put
> > into the kernel/FS, how do you make that user configurable?

You're missing some important details. MAybe you know what you mean,
but I certainly don't. I want to know what will happen when I do
open(2) or stat(2) on a directory which is an albod.

Regards,

Richard....