Re: Kernel doesn't mount /

Sitaraman Vilayannur (vsitaram@pop.service.ohio-state.edu)
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:44:19 -0400

Hi,
I am a novice and i hope this is an appropriate mailing list to mail this
one. If not please let me know which one is.

I am trying to install Red hat 6.0 in an intel machine (pentiun II,33
MHZ.) It already has Win98 in it on C: drive which is partitoned to contain
2 gigs. THe other parts of the hard drive arent partitoned.
My Hard drive is SCSI, and so is my CD ROM. THe SCSI controller i have is an
Adaptec AHA-2940U. Both my device is connected to the card directly one
through 68 pin and one thorugh 50 pin ( i cant recollect right now which
one is which) Both my devices are narrow devices.
I asm able to boot from the CD ROM alone. However just before the
installation menu (Welcome to red hat! screen) shows up some complains
about "hda not found, no response, error OXff device not ready to accept
command" apprears on the screen a couple of times. Now i know hd stands
for IDE and its got to bee loooking for sd......
However it goes on and asks me to make choices on keyboard type etc. and
then comes time to read from the CD ROM. It then asks if i have a scsi
adapter. I click on yes amd it gives me a list to choose from one which
enticingly reads
ADAPTEC 2840, 2940..... I chose that.
THen it gives me a message saying that aic7xxx may need additional info.
and gives me an option of giving that info or to do autoprobe. No matter
what i do (including givig aic7xxx= Adaptec...., no_probe, no_reset) it
either hangs or says i cannnot find that device anywhere in your system.
I have the wide transfer turned off for both the devices and i tried
giving aic7xxx=no_probe at the boot prompt but it gives unknown option.
The Red Hat support people have kind of thrown in the towel saying that
this may be an incompatibility problem with the card.
Any workaroung possible for this.

THanks a bunch.
Sitaraman