Re: we missed something wrt albods

Rik van Riel (riel@humbolt.nl.linux.org)
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 19:22:40 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Larry Butler wrote:

> I see a problem here that has not been addressed by either a
> filesystem-level or non-filesystem-level solution.
>
> In most circumstances you could divide non-albod-aware programs into two
> classes:
>
> 1) Those that should get a single-stream representation of the albod
> when they open it.
> 2) Those that should just get the default stream.
>
> However in a lot of cases it is not at all clear which
> of the above is appropriate.

What we need is a way to have _both_ possibilities. Even a
(gross) hack to do both is better than to run into the problem
you paint above.

Maybe we want to just list "file" as a standard file with the
dir listing but be able to open "\file" as an albod directory
when we ask for it. Most (almost all) non-albod-aware programs
have the possibility of explicitly entering a file/dir name to
perform an action on so it will just be a minor inconvenience
while some system tools will be converted.

Besides, when you use file/logo.gif the system doesn't have
to guess what you want to do so it'll be not that much of a
problem once we've got a method in place of accessing an albod
in both ways.

cheers,

Rik -- Open Source: you deserve to be in control of your data.