Re: rebuilding kernel causes request_module[block-major-8]....

Sven Koch (haegar@comunit.net)
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 02:15:57 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Raj, Ashok wrote:

> now i have a scsi drive and when i boot it gives me panic during mount root
> with a message
>
> request_module[block-major-8] cant load.. (or somethihg like that).

first:
you can't have your root-filesystem on a modular-device unless you
use a custom-build initrd - how should the kernel be able to load a module
if it needs this module to access the disk on which it resides?

so build your scsi-subsystem into your kernel, and not as modules...

> i know this is the scsi disk module, i have the right alias for the adapter
> in /etc/modules.conf
>
> alias scsi_hostadapter ncr53c8xx

you need at least (if your root-partition is not on the scsi-disk):
alias block-major-8 sd_mod

c'ya
sven

please excuse my bad english...