Re: The stability crisis

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 14:12:42 +0200 (MEST)

Pavel Machek wrote:
> No. Dumping to on-disk partition is _very_ risky, because it is easy
> to miss the right partition. Floppy is much safer because it is much
> harder to hit harddisk this way.

In theory, when a system is "oopsing", it is unsafe to do anything.

In practise, I agree with you that writing to a harddisk is more
dangerous than writing to a floppy.

On the other hand, having a system control (ioctl on a file?, sysctl?,
/proc?) that tells the system: "Please use that for crash dumps", and
requires the file to be appropriately sized and preallocated would, in
my opinion, be safe enough. Once the system thinks: "this is going the
wrong way", it should write out the messages buffer to the
pre-determined blocks.

If those pre-determined block numbers are wrong (random pointer), then
it is most likely that lots of other stuff was broken first, so that
writing to disk is no longer possible.

Roger.

------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------