Re: The stability crisis

Dan Hollis (goemon@sasami.anime.net)
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 11:13:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Alan Cox wrote:
> Thats the complex approach. Write a return to realmode handler,use the BIOS
> to write out the blocks and put an MD5 checksum around the dumping agent
> and its copy of every piece of data it needs.

Or find a way to prevent PC bios from wiping memory on hard reset, and
then add a dumper routine to lilo or the kernel. Eg lilo dumps ram to the
swap partition, which is then picked up during swapon when linux boots,
and written out to /var/adm/crash/

At least I understand this is the way IRIX and HP/UX do it.

-Dan