Re: Standard for module delivery

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 19:36:10 +0100

On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 11:08:27AM -0700, Stephen Williams wrote:

> MYDIR=`pwd`
> cd /usr/src/linux
> make SUBDIRS=$MYDIR modules
>
> David.Woodhouse@mvhi.com said:
> > This also allows you to include the current config options.
>
> Now that's pretty slick. However, should it really be necessary for the
> kernel source to be installed? I have compiled my module with only the
> kernel headers installed, and think that should be just fine. It should
> work.

But how do you know if you should be compiling with, e.g. __SMP__ defined,
without the kernel source?

Every now and then there is a debate about having a /proc/config.gz in procfs;
if this existed you could pull values for, e.g. CONFIG_SMP from there.

--
Mommy, where were you when Demon sold out its customers to cover its ass?