Re: The stability crisis

Henning P. Schmiedehausen (hps@tanstaafl.de)
2 Jul 1999 22:42:04 +0200

Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch (Jes Sorensen) writes:

>Before you can do this you need a hardware address for the receiver,
>this can of course be done by putting it statically into this special
>driver. Alternatively you need a fair amount of a network stack to run
>before you can first get the hw address via ARP, and then send out a
>message with the oops info. Now this requires a sorta functional
>Ethernet driver to get anywhere and often your interrupts are dead.

Broadcast it (MAC-addr all ones) to a "special" port. To send it out,
you need a bare bones, no frills, interruptless, stripped down driver
(reset ethernet board, put packet in buffer, send it, die).

Actually I think, that sending the oops out over the network (as a
compile option, of course) is a nice idea. Maybe I will toy with this
sometime this weekend (don't hold your breath, though :-)

Kind regards
Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH     hps@intermeta.de

Hutweide 15 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0 info@intermeta.de D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20