Re: aic7890 in Dell Poweredge failing on probe

Doug Ledford (dledford@redhat.com)
Sat, 03 Jul 1999 02:12:08 -0400

Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> We just got a Dell Poweredge 6300 here at work, but we're having
> installation problems. RedHat 6.0's installer gets to probing the aic7xxx
> driver, at which point the screen blanks (monitor goes into power-saving
> mode), the system completely locks, and even the power supply fans spin
> down to a lower speed...
>
> Now, Dell ships these things with RedHat pre-installed (only the 1024KB
> cache versions, not the 512KB cache, don't ask me why), so I know these
> things are *supposed* to work just fine... Dell won't be able to help
> much until Tuesday, since everyone there that knows anything about Linux
> has already gone home for the long weekend.

I've probably answered this about 40 times now, but here it is again. The
Dell PowerEdge 6300 machines use the SC450NX chipset, and the particular
version that they use is sensitive to EISA/VLB port probes. So, when the
aic7xxx driver probes for VLB or EISA cards, it has a chance of causing the
machine to black screen and either hang or reset. The fix to this is to use
the aic7xxx driver, but to load the module with the option aic7xxx=no_probe.
So, for a Red Hat Linux 6.0 install, you would need to start the install in
expert mode (so that the install program doesn't automatically load the
aic7xxx module for you without any options), tell it that you have a SCSI
controller, select the 2740, 2840, 2940 Adaptec SCSI controller, then select
Specify Options, then type in aic7xxx=no_probe and it should work fine. The
install program will remember this and when it writes the /etc/conf.modules
file it will include a line to preserve that option in all future instances.

> It appears that as of kernel 2.2.1 the aic7xxx 5.1.10 driver is standard,
> and 5.1.11 is the latest. Is this indeed the case, and if so, does 5.1.11
> change stuff that might be relevant?

5.1.18 is the latest. For speed and accessibility I'm now making my web site
my primary place of distribution (it isn't nearly as heavily loaded as the ftp
server is). That means you can find the latest aic7xxx stuff by going to
http://www.redhat.com/~dledford/aic7xxx.html

--
  Doug Ledford   <dledford@redhat.com>
   Opinions expressed are my own, but