Re: Frame Relay generic driver

Gergely Madarasz (gorgo@caesar.elte.hu)
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 19:39:39 +0200 (METDST)

On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Jan Kasprzak wrote:

> Gergely Madarasz wrote:
> : > I think it is possible even without a rewrite of syncppp.c. The
> : > slaves should be generated on the fly using some ioctl (which gets
> : > a PVC #, and returns the slave name, for example). And of course some
> : > ioctl for deleting the slave, and one for seting a link-protocol
> : > (maybe we should delete SPPPIOCCISCO and SPPPIOCPPP and make one
> : > ioctl with a parameter for setting the link-level protocol).
> :
> : Something like that should be ok. Btw I'll soon be submitting the comx
> : drivers to the kernel, they need no ioctl's at all, everything is set up
> : thru the /proc filesystem (echo ppp >/proc/comx/comx0/protocol), i quite
> : like this idea (it wasn't written by me, but the previus maintainer).
> :
> Is commx tied to syncppp.c somewhat? Or it is another implementation
> of syncppp/cisco/FR? I would like to see the code.

I've converted the drivers to use the syncppp.c for ppp and hdlc several
weeks ago (there was a separate hdlc implementation and ppp needed an
external, modified pppd). The fr code is separate, and there is one
more protocol supported: lapb using the internal kernel lapb stack.

> BTW, the idea of using /proc is neat, but think about dedicated
> routers witout any /proc. I one time thought about the following:
>
> cat /etc/cosa/cs8.hex >/proc/cosa/cosa0/firmware
> echo start 0x400 >/proc/cosa/cosa0/command

The comx cards use an interface like this, only there is no command file,
it's done with ifconfig.

> But I did not implement this because there can be small routers
> without /proc.

I don't think proc fs support is such an overhead, I've never considered
making a router without /proc support. Of course there might be security
issues....

> : I'd be glad to help. The comx drivers frame-relay code (which I
> : maintain, and support since february, I haven't done much with it
> : though) needs a bit of redesign, since it is tied to the hardware drivers
> : much more than it needs to be.
>
> You are welcome. I think we should do some design issues and
> then start coding or adapting the existing software.

I have some exams this week, but from next week I'll have much more time.

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo@caesar.elte.hu         gorgo@linux.rulez.org
                    HuLUG: http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/