re: oops w/ 2.2.10-ac8 (ALSA this time)

Mark Orr (markorr@intersurf.com)
Sun, 04 Jul 1999 12:55:44 -0500 (CDT)

On 04-Jul-99 Alan Cox wrote:
>> I got an Oops using the 2.2.10-ac8 kernel and a Tekram DC390 scsi
>> controller. It happens when I try to load the tmscsim.o module (using
>> modprobe). The kernel locks and I can't do anything but syncing and
>> mounting the disk read-only via the ALT-SYSRQ keys. The same configuration
>> works perfectly with 2.2.10-ac5.
>
> Lovely. That wasn't quite what the slab poisoner was meant to catch
>
>> Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 5a5a5a66
> ^^^^^^
>
> The slab poisoner puts 5a5a5a5a through memory to try and trip up code
> that doesn't clear memory properly or uses memory that has been freed. It
> seems to have caught the Tekram driver misbehaving 8)

Add alsactl to that list. I get "Unable to handle kernel paging request
at 5a5a5aXX"
every time I run alsactl. I'm using ALSA CVS snapshots, but i've rolled back
to a previous version that worked (apparently) flawlessly w/ 2.2.10-ac6.

The sound drivers do appear to work, but they can't be unloaded. I can set
mixer levels w/ an OSS mixer and play sounds thru it.

Mark Orr
markorr@intersurf.com