Re: The stability crisis

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 23:50:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Chuck Lever wrote:

>debugging. neither IKD nor kdb are ported to 2.3 at the moment. i'd love
>it if they were integrated into the kernel and enabled/disabled via
>CONFIG. i would even do some of this myself if i thought such a patch

The IKD patch has very intensive changes all over the place and it would
decrease the readability of the kerenl. kdb instead is very localized.

>the kernel and paw through data structures. how are people getting that
>kind of information now in 2.3 (that was a genuine question, not
>rhetorical)?

I try to avoid having to go through data structures via debugger. I prefer
adding printk in such cases. Often I also hack the sysrq keys to generate
stack traces and not only the EIP addresses. But that's my way I don't
know what other people is doing.

>no arguments there!

:)

Andrea