Re: Synchronous board drivers

Paul Fulghum (paulkf@austin.rr.com)
Mon, 05 Jul 1999 08:36:17 -0500

Alan Cox wrote:

> > The generic ppp layer would have a standard interface to
> > communications channels. There would be several types of channels
> > such as async serial lines, HDLC lines, ISDN, frame relay, or sockets
> > (e.g. for L2TP or PPP over ethernet).
>
> Stop. The generic PPP layer should have one frame type - PPP. It might
> be given a notice if the layer is reliable or not, and if it is
> dialable.

Was Paul M. suggesting different PPP frame types? I read it as saying
that the PPP layer only knows about PPP frames which are passed
to the channel interface. What resides on the other side of the
interface would perform any media specific encoding or encapsulation.

--
Paul Fulghum
paulkf@austin.rr.com